Friday, November 30, 2012

Follow Your Heart

       Day after day we continued our cyber relationship but let me tell you, this was much more difficult than just any long distant relationship.  This was a nine hour time difference with two people who had full-time jobs, and a life of their own still going on without each other.  After about a month a part we decided we had to be together some way.  So he talked with his family about me moving to France, and by moving to France I mean moving into his Grandparent's house with him.  When he first suggested the idea I was a little bit hesitant,  here I was living in an apartment in Mission beach, right by the ocean like I had always dreamed!  I had to weigh out the pros and cons of this plan....
    Moving to France Pros (+)
  • I get to be with my love!
  • I get to travel to a different country I never thought I would have the opportunity or money to ever see.
  • I can learn a new language
  • Learn about a whole new culture
  • Meet his family
  • Technically I'll be the same distance from my family as I am now (just over an Ocean) 
  • and again most importantly BE WITH MY LOVE <3
    Moving to France Cons (-)
  • I'll be over an Ocean from my family (more expensive plane tickets to limit frequent visits)
  • Living with his Grandparent whom I have never met nor did either speak any English
  • My family still hasn't met this man yet!
  • Leaving my first job
  • And being completely dependent on a man, which was exactly what I was taught to never do. 
   Staying in California Pros (+)
  • Staying in the place I always dreamed of living
  • Able to continue working
  • Party buses on the weekends
  • The Ocean and Palm trees
  • Jogs along the ocean after work
  • "The dream team" aka my best California girls 
   Staying in California Cons (-)
  • Long Distant relationships NEVER work out
  • My apartment with the guys (Fun) yet very messy. Typical boys
  • My once secure job, not feeling so secure
  • Not HAVING my love -not an option
      After some thought, which honestly didn't take me long to make, it was decided!! I was moving to Paris, France.  I mean who wouldn't give everything up to follow their love to such a beautiful place, at least from what I have seen in photos it looks nice.  I thought at the time, "how hard could the language really be!"  The first thing I had to do was break the news to my family.  Easier said than done, it was already hard enough to leave them when I moved to San Diego and I was only there about a year at this point. Good byes were never easy, mostly for my mother who teared up every time I would drive off to college (all four years), then again when I drove off to California.  Now I have to break the news once again, that I will be moving even further.  Some may wonder if I have such a close relationship with my mother how do I keep moving further and further away from her?  But this is how she raised me, to be a strong, independent woman, and if life gives me an opportunity, to take it.  So when I called to ask her what she thought of my new plans to move to France in the near future, I could here the sadness in her voice when she said it.  But those words stayed with me, she said "Alex, follow your heart."  And that was exactly what I needed to hear to finalize my decision.   All though I still had the rest of my family and friends to tell, the hard part was over!  Breaking the news to them, I got reactions like......"How long have you known him!?" "Do you even speak french!?" "Where are you going to work?" "You're just going to give up your dream after only living there for one year!?"  Which were all good questions.  But I had already asked them to myself and even if the answers were unclear, I was going!  I gave my 2 week notice and had my friend Brittany come out to help me pack and drive my life back to Pennsylvania.  I made the best of my last 2 weeks in California.  The way I see it, I'm not giving up my dream but I lived the dream already and now it was time to find a new one.  Before leaving I wanted to have has much money as possible before moving to France and for driving back across the country.  We decided to have a Moving Sale so I could sell anything that I didn't feel like hauling back with me.  I would say it was a success but it was the hardest to see my lime green beach cruiser drive off with some one else.  End of July came fast but not fast enough, every day I was missing my boyfriend more and more. But finally the day had arrived to head back to North East PA.  Since on my way to California I had a great time at each of our pit-stops we decided to repeat it for the way back.  With one extra stop in Four Corners USA on our way to Denver.  I will offer anyone advice who plans on driving across the country, fill up your gas tank before traveling through Kansas especially between the hours of 12:00 am-4:00 am.  Once we finally made it to Pittsburgh it was nice to get out of the car and even more so to see my friends!  One last night out in Pittsburgh and it was off to Tunkhannock.  On  that 6 hour drive from Pittsburgh to Tunkhannock I had time to sit back and reflect at what I have seen so far in my 23 years, and I began to feel so blessed.  Me moving to France for love was crazy I knew that, but so was leaving my small town in the first place to San Diego.  I would have never met Thomas if I never took the chance to move to San Diego, or the chance I took when I moved in with 3 random guys from craigslist.  Following my heart so far has never steered me wrong so far, so why stop now.  I guess the next chapter of my life will be in France.

No comments:

Post a Comment